My Blog

My Blog

LOVE!

LOVE!

January 6, 2013

Eliza's Shadow by Catherine Wittmack

Eliza's Shadow
BLURB:
Moco, Georgia:  Mother said with a little smile on her face that she was going to tell rosebud the secret.  Before you add the shrimp, put a little bacon in the pan and fry it. That's called cookin'.  I wrapped my toes around the rung of lthe stepstool as I stirred the milky grains until they thickened. Mother said to add a dash of salt, a little pepper and there you go. That’s what I remember of my childhood. I remember spending hours in the hot kitchen of our tidewater house. That was all I ever knew, though I never told  her.  It was always just us. (I feel that being alone with just your mother, can be very lonely for a child. She didn't remember her father, she was just four when he died.  All she had was photographs of him on the mantel.  So sad, a little child with no memories other than photos.  The life she knew, which wasn't much, washed away when her mother disappeared with the Georgia hurricane.)
She watched as another branch broke a bedroom window as the wind tore through her room.  She jumped out of bed and scrambled to get the bedroo door open.  She ran out onto the second floor landing. (There is no way to imagine the fear that she had as she ran to her mother's bedroom. ) The room was as though no one had been there. Eliza Gowan’s past came back to haunt her. Eliza had enjoyed a quiet life with her aunt in in the small town of Port Rune. Eliza is put in the exciting world of magic when Ren Alden came to  her high school. Eliza starts on a quest to end the hunt and solve the mysteries of her past.

COVER:
 The cover is mysterious.  It may take you a while to understand what the red water lily means.  Once you do, the cover will become magnificent.
REVIEW:
You become emotionally involved in Eliza and  hope she finds the answers she seeks.  There is such a time span between Chapters one and two.  It's rather hard to get the hang of what is going on. Eliza is very smart.  Life would have been easier for her if she had been older. One minute you feel that she is so much older and then the next she is simply a teeny bopper.I'm not sure if Eliza is supposed to be the herooine and protect everyone   She hides her dark world.  If she were older she may consider that a bad idea.  I feel that Eliza and Ren just shouldn't be put together. He is the guide, but it seems in order to instruct the novice witch, he should be so much older and wiser.

I disliked the romance between the two of them.  It just didn't seem to have much wham to it.  It was like a love-hate relationship as far as Eliza was concerned.  To me, it's either love them or leave them.

To me the book was rather slow.  Not a fast paced book.  It was interesting as far as the magic and the strange beings that Eliza and Ren run into.  I enjoyed the majority of the book, especially the magic.  The ending left you hanging and I'm not into books like that unless there is to be a second book.

Ms. Wittmack was quite descriptive, her writing was very good,  I am looking forward to Book Two.  Ms. Wittmack gives you characaters that you really want to get to know more about them   This book is not just for the young teen but for anyone.  If you like the witch realm, you will definitely like this book.

I received an e-book complimentary copy of ELIZA'S SHADOW from Not Now...Mommy's Reading for this unbiased review.

http://bemiown.blogspot.com
http://www.mommysreading.com

No comments: