My Blog

My Blog

DON'T LOOK BACK!

DON'T LOOK BACK!

June 10, 2014

WHAT'S THE POINT OF A REVIEW? *****?

?

WHAT'S THE POINT OF A REVIEW?

????


???
I did a review on a book (won't mention the name) and in my eyes and my opinion the book was a rather sad book.  No crying sad but sad that these kind of important people and situations do occur.  These people in this book were supposed to be held to standards above and beyond.  The author took their faults, and there were many, and made it appear as though this was laughable.  To me it was just plain sad.  To think that those who are out there to uphold our laws and our principles of life are perverts and people who bribe, steal, pay people off just to get their clients off from their crimes.  Now, I'm not saying that this doesn't happen. I'm not so naive that I don't know that many of our leaders and protectors are corrupt, it's the principle of the thing.  To me it wasn't funny, laughable or even near that.  
Back to where I started,  What's the point of a review?  To me it's reading a book,  thinking as you go, wondering and coming up with how you, the reader and reviewer see the book.  What the reader sees and perceives has nothing to do with the author.  The point of reading and reviewing the book is to set out there, one person's view of the book.  If everyone gave 5 STAR reviews on every book, why review?  The author would already know he has a 5 STAR review.  Why read the book other than what you get from it?  Every book to every reader IS NOT A 5  STAR REVIEW.   The point is for the reviewer to give his or her view of what she has read.  I was told I missed the point.  Well  perhaps I did, in the  author's eyes and writing.  But not in mine.  The author has his right to write his book the way he sees it and I, as a reader and reviewer, have my right to give my view on the book.  I haven't always given 5 STAR reviews. Some have been 2,3 4, 5 and some I read a couple of pages and quit.  Not many, but a couple.

So reviewers, authors and readers, what you see through reading a book isn't always what someone else sees.  I would hope everyone would accept how the other sees the book and accept that with grace.  
Every book is NOT A 5 STAR book to every reader.
?????
Just venting a little.  Take it for what you think it's worth, mull it over and decide if you are just reading to give an author a boost with a 5 STAR review, or are you going to give what you feel should be given?
THANKS!??

GAYLE PACE
Reader and Reviewer



No comments: