My Blog

My Blog

DON'T LOOK BACK!

DON'T LOOK BACK!

June 16, 2014

MEET THE BUGS! by Mark C. Collins

A WONDERFUL NEW BOOK
 THAT INTRODUCES
 CHILDREN TO BUGS!
##########################################################################

MEET THE BUGS!
BY
MARK C. COLLINS
 
 Meet The Bugs!
 #################################################
SUMMARY
Come meet 18 of the most common bugs, in cute cartoon style.
Learn simple facts and have a few laughs! Ages 3 – 8.

  File Size: 3661 KB
  • Print Length: 44 pages
  • Publisher: MCC Publishing (May 27, 2014)
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B00KLNKSGW
######################################################################
 AUTHOR
 I've been drawing since the age of 2, spent 20 years as a graphic designer after art school, and have been a professional illustrator since 2001. In the past decade, I've done illustrations for textbooks, packaging, magazines, and other authors' books (some of these include Annette R. Burrell's "Danny Cricket" book series, and Mark Shulman's sticker book, "The Insect Invaders" - all available on Amazon.com).

Ever since I've been a teen, I have written poetry as a hobby, then several years ago I began writing short stories just for fun.
One day it hit me, "Hey, why don't I utilize my design, illustration, and writing skills into making my own children's books?"

My book, "GRANDMA STINKS!" is my first self-published book combining those 3 skills, and is written in the first-person voice of Emma, a young girl.

As a male, I naturally have no reference point nor sensibility of a young girl when portraying human emotional responses, yet I chose a girl because I liked the contrast between her very expressive reaction to her Grandmother (it's generally assumed that boys are the ones who vocalize disgust openly and without tact), and the fact that she's a little girl. Conversely, her reaction to the more sensitive aspects of her Grandma are once again magnified because of Emma's gender. There's a sincerity present, which I don't think would have been as convincing had I chosen a boy for the main character.

UPDATE 2/16/14
I just released my newest self-published children's book, "Ben's Day". It's a fast-paced, non-segue look at a day in the life of Ben; an only-child on his first day of summer.

Happy reading!

UPDATE 5/27/14
I just released my newest self-published children's book, "Meet The Bugs!". It's a rhyming introduction to the world of 18 of the most common bugs, portrayed in a cute cartoon style. Ages 3-8.
##########################################################################

REVIEW
MEET THE BUGS is a wonderful, educational, fun book for children to learn about bugs.  18 of the most common bugs, 17 insects and 1 spider, with illustrations to go along with them.  The illustrations were wonderful and the author added rhyming text which made it even more fun and interesting for the young readers. Another cute thing the author did was give some of the bugs girly names.  They all weren't just boys names. I felt it was an extremely novel way to introduce bugs to little ones.  Sometimes the children are afraid of the bugs they might find in the back yard while they are playing.  With this book,  it shows that the bugs are not to be feared, you just have to be careful around some of them.  Some bite and sting like the centipede and the tick.  There are those that children need to be told of to be careful of, not scared of.  They are just another one of God's creatures put here on earth for a reason.  There are bugs that we all enjoy watching like the ladybug and the firefly.  Catching fireflies at night in a jar used to be fun when I was a child.    Watching them light up and glow.  Then the reader is introduced to a couple we don't particularly care for,  the termite that likes to eat wood and the mosquito that likes to bite you and leave an itchy.
The author wrote a lovely illustrated and fun way to learn abouat the everyday bugs we meet in our back yards.  Wonderful book for children to learn about BUGS.

I would recommend this book to every adult and child to read and re-read as a reminder about our everyday bugs. A book that is worth keeping on the child's book shelf for another day of reading.

I was given a complimentary copy of MEET THE BUGS from the author Mark C. Collins for my view of this book. No other compensation took place.

I would give this book a solid 5 STARS.
 ################################################
 

LINKS
http://bemiown.blogspot.com
bemiown@yahoo.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Collins-Illustration/163120997136936

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/968809033
 
 
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2D8D7J6X6896J/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00KLNKSGW

 

1 comment:

Mark said...

Thank you, Gayle, for your wonderfully warm review of my book, "Meet The Bugs!"

I will indeed keep writing children's books, and it is due to the love of the kids, and the good reviews of adults that keeps me motivated to do so.

Thanks again,
Mark C. Collins