My Blog

My Blog

DON'T LOOK BACK!

DON'T LOOK BACK!

February 27, 2014

HEARTACHES & SIN by Charles Soto

NOTE: THIS IS A BOOK ABOUT ABORTION AND CHOICES
Heartache & Sin

HEARTACHE and SIN
by
Charles Soto
Paperback, 512 pages
Published April 23rd 2009 
 by 
Booksurge Publishing
ISBN 1439202400
 (ISBN13: 9781439202401)

if heartaches are miracles then sins are but a few.....

About the Author


Charles Soto The author of HEARTACHE & SIN, Charles Soto lives in northern Minnesota with is wife of more than twenty two years and his two daughters. His sole purpose in his stories is to intice a reader to think and feel the entire story for themselves, by expelling hard driving emotions in his plots, drawing strong reaction. 'I never know where my inspiration for a book is going to come from. Ideas hit me all the time about stories and characters, situations and circumstance that I can relate to and feel. I may sit on it for awhile, write a paragraph or two, but usually it all comes down to: is the book passionate enough, provocative and inspiring me to write it. My writing interests like my art, compel me to explore controversy and opinion. search ourselves for the compassionate side of human nature and what one would do under the same circumstance. Above all else, my stories always carry a solid theme of family, love and passion.' Besides his accomplishments in writing, Charles is also a very gifted ceramisist/sculpture. His fine arts have appeared in public and private showings and may be viewed at charzarts,com, for his appearance schedule go to AuthorCharlesSoto.com. It was in November of 2004 when Charles suffered a horrific accident, falling nearly 30 feet to a concrete slab below. He sustained a broken left tibia and head trauma. Says Charles, "What amazes me the most is how well I recovered, returning to nearly the physical state I was in before I fell. My faith has truly left me to believe that God had spared me on that day, being able to watch my children grow up and hopefully, someday, my grandchildren; not to mention being able to pursue my dreams of writing and creating my art." It was during his recovery and rehabilitation, which took several years, when Charles decided to write his fiction novel, HEARTACHE & SIN. An accomplishment that took him 6 months to complete. A love story which carries an important and powerful theme, 'should a woman consider terminating her pregnancy if it places her life in danger?' "I wanted to write about a topic where passion overrides opinion and opinions evoke passion. Providing a format for the reader to wonder what they would do under the same circumstances." A few months later Charles completed his second fiction novel, PRIDE AND A PRAYER, scheduled to be released at a later date.
 BOOK OVERVIEW
(from Goodreads)
 Hard-driving and provocative, this unconventional love story will have audiences talking for weeks after reading. Charles Soto touches at the heart of humanity with this epic tale, tackling the hardships of abortion. Dissecting the tenderest parts of a mother's being, while destroying a father's conscience, Heartache and Sin starts where love, hate, murder and church collide. Like all couples, when Steven and Karen Wheaton learn of their pregnancy, they are elated. Active churchgoers with a pointed sense of right and wrong, they hope to instill their values in this new life. When a corrupt clergyman starts to use Karen to promote his own corrupt anti-abortion agenda, Steven finds himself surrounded by questions of morality. As Karen's pregnancy takes a turn for the worse and she becomes deathly ill, it starts to appear that the only thing that may save her is an abortion. Will Steven be able to save his wife or baby? Which would he choose? www.authorcharlessoto.com
 
 SETTINGS AND LOCATIONS
 CHARACTERS AND PEOPLE
plus 23 more
 REVIEW
This book is a different kind of read for me.It is an evil tale of how a preacher is willing to do anything to further his evil means. At first I had a hard time getting used to the author's writing style.  I was about to give up, but forged on. I soon found out that this wasn't your normal love story. It's a story of faith, surviving, family and love.  The book may make you stop and reflect on what your beliefs truly are on abortion and organized religion.

SETTING: North Dakota
Living a life, on a farm in North Dakota, of the all American lifestyle, Steven and Karen Wheaton  have a happy, loving relationship. They get together on Sundays with family and friends for a traditional Sunday dinner. There is a missing piece to their life.  A family.  Karen is advised by her doctor not to get pregnant since she was diagnosed with diabetes.  Karen wants a child so bad and  can't accept a life without children. Enters Pastor Ryan who believes he is a Prophet and he has great powers. He gains the trust of his congregation through intimidation and trickery.  Ryan takes the insecure and unknowing into his following.  Karen wants any kind of help she can get.  She has begun to follow Ryan.  She believes that he will cure her.  I thought this was a bit naive but if you want a child so bad, I guess you might resort to any avenue. I find it difficult to believe that the entire congregation was believing the evil  that Ryan was preaching to them. It made me wonder why people who supposedly believed in God and the Bible could be drawn into this cult mentality. Prophet?  Think about who the real Prophet is? Let's use our heads, people.Think about this real hard.
Steven has a totally different opinion of this so called pastor.  He sees him as he really is. A controlling psycho who brainwashes people's minds.  Karen discovers she is with child. Even with her medical condition, Pastor Ryan convinces her to continue with the pregnancy.  Steven is worried of losing his wife if she carried the baby to full term.  Pastor Ryan has an agenda.  He is going to use Karen to help his campaign against an abortion clinic. People like the Prophet are a real danger to society.  They draw in the weak and vulnerable. Mr. Soto left you with so many emotions, anger, sadnesss, wonder and amazement.  Will Karen carry the baby full term or will she decide to have an abortion?
I became so worried about the mother and the baby and what would happen to them both. The book was quite long, 510 pages, but the author wrote with suspense, tension and conflict that you couldn't put it down.  I became hooked.  I wanted to know what was on the next page. The author wrote such realism into the book.  These are the conflicts of everyday living.  Choices to be made.  They may not be what you would decide, but everyone must decide for themselves what is  best. One character that you have to feel for is the pastor's wife, Mary.  The so called Prophet has abused her both emotionally and physically.  Why does she stay?  This is definitely a book to be reckoned with.  Whether you are Pro-Life or not, the book gives an interesting story on beliefs, needs, love and deception.  A RECOMMENDED READ.


Rounded Cross Clip ArtRounded Cross Clip ArtI would give this book 4 CROSSES.Rounded Cross Clip ArtRounded Cross Clip Art

I was given a complimentary copy of Charles Soto's book, HEARTACHE and SIN for my honest opinion.  No other compensation took place.


LINKS
http://bemiown.blogspot.com
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7672429-heartache-sin  
http://www.amazon.com/Heartache-Sin-Charles-Soto/dp/1439202400
http://www.shelfari.com/books/13204638/Heartache-Sin

1 comment:

charlessoto said...

Thank You To Gayle for taking the time to read both Heartache & Sin and The Friend Request. These books are as much different as night is to day. I try to instill a diverse writing style to set the theme for my stories. but, the most common thread that connects them is love, family and devotion. I hope everyone gets a chance to read these two stories. I think they will actually make a difference to most, and for some...it might actually change your lives.