My Blog

My Blog

DON'T LOOK BACK!

DON'T LOOK BACK!

January 17, 2014

THE WILDE PASSIONS OF DORIAN GRAY by Mitzi Szereto



READERS: THIS BOOK IS NOT SUITABLE FOR READERS UNDER 18 OR THOSE WHO ARE OFFENDED BY SEXUAL VIOLENCE AND DARK EROTICA.


Cyrillic Letter X Clip Art
RATED 1 X
 OUT OF 5

THE WILDE PASSIONS OF DORIAN GRAY
A Novel
by
Mitzi Szereto


Wilde Passions of Dorian Gray: A Novel


GOTHIC, GAY/LESBIAN, EROTICA
Paperback, 288 pages
Published November 19th 2013
by Cleis Press (first published November 12th 2013)
ISBN  1573449652
(ISBN13: 9781573449656)



                                       

OVERVIEW:
(from Goodreads)

Inspired by Oscar Wilde’s classic novel The Picture of Dorian Gray, Mitzi Szereto’s Wilde Passions of Dorian Gray continues where Wilde left off with the Faustian tale of a man of eternal youth and great physical beauty who lives a life of corruption, decadence and hedonism. The story begins in the bordellos of Jazz-Age Paris, moving to the opium dens of Marrakesh and the alluring anonymity of South America. In his pursuit of sensation and carnal thrills, Dorian’s desires turn increasingly extreme and he leaves behind yet more devastation and death. He ultimately settles in present-day New Orleans, joining with a group of like-minded beings known as The Night People. They inadvertently return to Dorian his humanity when he falls in love with a young woman he rescues from becoming their victim. She will be his redemption, but she will also be his final curse.


Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.
               ---OSCAR WILDE

The soul is a terrible reality. It can be bought, and sold and bartered
away.  It can be poisoned, or made perfect.
-----DORIAN GRAY


REVIEW

TAKE A WALK OF THE WILDE SIDE.
 
When I requested this book I thought it was more like THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY. I like Oscar Wilde's work so I thought I would give it a go.  I didn't  like it but I read it.  I guess all I saw was Dorian Gray, not knowing it was erotica.  I can read books about erotica, it's just that this was a really dark book.  I'm not a fan of erotica and I really don't read it at all, but I thought since the author was kind enough to send me the book, I'd go with it. I had a real problem with the violence and the rape in this book.  I myself think that is degrading and not at all necessary. I understand that it was probably meant to show the reader how awful Dorian Gray was. I think the author strayed from the meaning of erotica, to arouse and excite.  I understand there are people out there that get off by violence and rape in a book, but why feed into their sickness?  The name Dorian Gray is mere coincidence.  This is not the literary character that we know.  Not only was I disappointed with the book but the ending  left a lot to be desired.  I feel that deep dark sexual violence just adds to the problem that a reader may already have.  Why not just leave out the rape and sexual violence? Then you would have had an erotica book.  This is just my own personal opinion, but I wouldn't recommend this book too anyone.  Leave out the dark side and my opinion would change.  This is just one person's opinion. Leave it to the reader.

I would give this book 1 X.

I was given a complimentary copy of THE WILDE PASSIONS OF DORIAN GRAY by Mitzi Szereto and Cleis Press for my honest opinion.  No other compensation was exchanged.


Mitzi Szereto

AUTHOR
 Mitzi Szereto 
 AUTHOR, BLOGGER and CREATOR/PRESENTER of MITZI TV

 Mitzi Szereto (http://mitziszereto.com) is an author and anthology editor of multi-genre fiction and non-fiction, has her own blog “Errant Ramblings: Mitzi Szereto’s Weblog” http://mitziszereto.com/blog and is creator/presenter of the Web TV channel “Mitzi TV” (http://mitziszereto.com/tv), which covers “quirky” London.

Her books include THE WILDE PASSIONS OF DORIAN GRAY; THRONES OF DESIRE: EROTIC TALES OF SWORDS, MIST AND FIRE; NORMAL FOR NORFOLK (THE THELONIOUS T. BEAR CHRONICLES); PRIDE AND PREJUDICE: HIDDEN LUSTS; RED VELVET AND ABSINTHE: PARANORMAL EROTIC ROMANCE; IN SLEEPING BEAUTY'S BED; GETTING EVEN: REVENGE STORIES (crime); DYING FOR IT: TALES OF SEX & DEATH (multi-genre); WICKED: SEXY TALES OF LEGENDARY LOVERS; SILK SHEETS: COLLECTED STORIES OF MITZI SZERETO; THE NEW BLACK LACE BOOK OF WOMEN'S SEXUAL FANTASIES (non-fiction/survey); EROTIC FAIRY TALES: A ROMP THROUGH THE CLASSICS; the EROTIC TRAVEL TALES anthology series (erotica/romance); and THE WORLD’S BEST SEX WRITING 2005 (non-fiction/criticism). Her work has been translated into several languages. Mitzi has pioneered erotic writing workshops in the UK and mainland Europe, teaching them from the Cheltenham Festival of Literature to the Greek islands. She's also lectured in creative writing at a number of British universities. A popular social media figure and interviewee, she’s been featured in publications ranging from the Sunday Telegraph, Guardian, Independent, Times, Observer, Toronto Star, The London Paper, Company Magazine, Dare Magazine, Family Circle, Writing Magazine, Scarlet Magazine, and Forum, to Bravo UK Television, Talk Radio Europe, Telecinco TV 5 (Madrid), Newstalk Ireland, BBC Radio, and FM4 ORF (Vienna, Austria). Her anthology Erotic Travel Tales 2 is the first anthology of erotica to feature a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature.

ERRANT RAMBLINGS: MITZI SZERETO'S WEBLOG: http://mitziszereto.com/blog




OTHER BOOKS BY MITZI SZERETO

                               Red Velvet and AbsinthePride and Prejudice: Hidden LustsErotic Fairy Tales: A Romp through the Classics
Normal for Norfolk (The Thelonious T. Bear Chronicles)highwayIn Sleeping Beauty's Bed: Erotic Fairy Tales
Silk Sheets: Collected Stories of Mitzi SzeretoLetter to ValentinoMrs. Atropos

LINKS
(http://mitziszereto.com)

http://bemiown.blogspot.com

 
http://mitziszereto.com/blog

 http://mitziszereto.com/tv

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17707967-wild-passions-of-dorian-gray?from_search=true 

http://www.shelfari.com/books/36345886/Wilde-Passions-of-Dorian-Gray-A-Novel

http://www.amazon.com/Wilde-Passions-Dorian-Gray-Novel/dp/1573449652





No comments: