My Blog

My Blog

DON'T LOOK BACK!

DON'T LOOK BACK!

October 5, 2013

NIGHT FILM by Marisha Pessl


3 STARS


NIGHT FILM
by
Marisha Pessi


An Amazon Best Book of the Month, August 2013:
Night Film
Random House; First Edition edition (August 20, 2013)

OVERVIEW
(from Goodreads)

Brilliant, haunting, breathtakingly suspenseful, Night Film is a superb literary thriller by The New York Times bestselling author of the blockbuster debut Special Topics in Calamity Physics.

On a damp October night, beautiful young Ashley Cordova is found dead in an abandoned warehouse in lower Manhattan. Though her death is ruled a suicide, veteran investigative journalist Scott McGrath suspects otherwise. As he probes the strange circumstances surrounding Ashley’s life and death, McGrath comes face-to-face with the legacy of her father: the legendary, reclusive cult-horror-film director Stanislas Cordova—a man who hasn’t been seen in public for more than thirty years.

For McGrath, another death connected to this seemingly cursed family dynasty seems more than just a coincidence. Though much has been written about Cordova’s dark and unsettling films, very little is known about the man himself.

Driven by revenge, curiosity, and a need for the truth, McGrath, with the aid of two strangers, is drawn deeper and deeper into Cordova’s eerie, hypnotic world.

The last time he got close to exposing the director, McGrath lost his marriage and his career. This time he might lose even more.

"My films are just stories. But that’s all we have." - Stanislas Cordova


REVIEW
NIGHT FILM is a rather large read at 624 pages.  I normally don't care for books that long, but I did agree to read and review. The author wrote this book with care, didn't cut corners and gave the reader a lot to think on.  There were some parts that were rather eerie and some that made me laugh. I was immediately riveted to the book but as I read on, I wasn't sure I wanted to finish it. The author was taking the reader in all different directions that you wouldn't at all expect. the author, Ms. Pessl, starts out in one direction, a mystery and it goes through several changes into conspiracies, cults and quite heavy occult.  This is how I saw it.  That may not have been what the author intended.  You feel like you're in a  deserted house filled with all kinds of haunted creatures and you are going up and down the staircase and not knowing what you'll find or even what you are looking for

Stanislas Cordova was an American director of horror films and I'm talking horror, horror films.  Some of the studios wouldn't even show them because they were so horrific. He had a 24 year old daughter, Ashley.  She was at one time a musical genius.  She is found dead in a warehouse in New York.  Apparent suicide. Scott McGrath, a reporter, started some investigation along with a drug dealer and a 19 year old.  What a group?  The story is then about the three "investigators" chasing clue after clue. It appears whenever they hit a dead end, the street appears again, leading them down another road of investigating. The book sometimes feels like you are playing a game of hide and seek. About a two thirds of the way through I thought I had the ending figured out.I pretty much did. I feel the ending could have been a little more interesting and eerie.  May be it's just me but I was reading this long book and I wanted a "reach out and grab someone" ending and it wasn't there for me. I would recommend anyone to pick up a copy and decide for yourself.  Everyone has their own view.  The author, Ms. Pessl wrote a good Halloween read, it just wasn't for me.

I was given a complimentary copy of this book, NIGHT FILM from the author, Marisha Pessl for my unbiased opinion.

I would give this book 3 STARS.




AUTHOR
Marisha Pessl grew up in Asheville, North Carolina, and now lives in New York City. Special Topics in Calamity Physics, her debut novel, was a bestseller in both hardcover and paperback. It won the 2006 John Sargent Sr. First Novel Prize (now the Center for Fiction’s Flaherty-Dunnan First Novel Prize), and was selected as one of the 10 Best Books of the Year by The New York Times Book Review. Her new novel, Night Film, comes out August 20, 2013.




https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10112885-night-film

http://bemiown.blogspot.com

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Film-Novel-Marisha-Pessl/dp/140006788X

http://www.shelfari.com/books/18180876/Night-Film-A-Novel

No comments: