My Blog

My Blog

DON'T LOOK BACK!

DON'T LOOK BACK!

June 15, 2013

JOYLAND A HARD CASE CRIME by Stephen King


JOYLAND    (HARD CASE CRIME)                                    5 STARS

by Stephen King                                            

                  

    Who Dares Enter the Funhouse of Fear?

 

                            

 OVERVIEW: (from Amazon)

A STUNNING  NEW NOVEL FROM ONE OF THE BEST-SELLING AUTHORS OF ALL TIME!

Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever.

"I love crime, I love mysteries, and I love ghosts. That combo made Hard Case Crime the perfect venue for this book, which is one of my favorites. I also loved the paperbacks I grew up with as a kid, and for that reason, we’re going to hold off on e-publishing this one for the time being. Joyland will be coming out in paperback, and folks who want to read it will have to buy the actual book."Stephen King


REVIEW:

I'm an avid Stephen King reader. I believe one of my favorite books is THE SHINING.  I've read it so many times and watched it on TV quite a few times. Talk about scary.

That it was.

Another one that was great was MISERY with Annie Wilkes, a crazy book fan. Mr. King is very precise in his work. In his works he makes  of it real, as if it could happen in our lives.  He brings out the horror and terror in a way that we can realize it could happen and that makes it even more scary.

The new novel, JOYLAND is about an amusement park and a 21 year old going through the day to day working at JOYLAND and then as a second vision, Devin is much older and relives his version of JOYLAND.  It is definitely a thriller with a little romance thrown in. It's a coming of age novel.  Devin in the second vision tells of the year of, the year I lost my virginity, the year I wanted.  The author, Mr. King always comes down to the knitty gritty of life.  You can't explain life,  Any emotion can appear at any time whether we like it or not.

No disappointment here. JOYLAND lives up to all expectations of Mr. King's writings.  Never a dull moment and never a disappointment.  I hope Mr. King writes many more novels and keeps us on the edge of our seats and turning those pages as fast as we can.  Don't explain it, just live it.

Thanks Mr. King for another superb book.

I was given a complimentary copy of JOYLAND by Stephen King from Night Owl Reviews for this unbiased review.

I would give this book a solid 5 STARS.

The cover would get 4.5 STARS.

 

 

Biography

Stephen King is the author of more than fifty books, all of them worldwide bestsellers. Among his most recent are the Dark Tower novels, Cell, From a Buick 8, Everything's Eventual, Hearts in Atlantis, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and Bag of Bones. His acclaimed nonfiction book, On Writing, was also a bestseller. He is the recipient of the 2003 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. He lives in Bangor, Maine, with his wife, novelist Tabitha King.

 

No comments: